Utility Bill Payments
Important Notice: (posted 4/2/20)
During the COVID-19 and Stay-at-Home emergency, the City of Lincolnton is working hard to support residents and utility customers. To help ensure residents can remain at home and slow the spread of the coronavirus, the City of Lincolnton will not disconnect residential water, wastewater and/or electric service due to late or non-payment and did not disconnect utility services in March. In addition, effective April 1, and consistent with the NC Governor’s Executive Order 124, the City is waiving penalties including late and default fees in addition to suspending residential utility disconnects for at least the next 60 days (June 1).
Please keep in mind that customers are still responsible for paying for all usage. Customers should continue to make payments on their accounts to avoid accumulating large balances, even if they cannot pay in full. Since utility account balances will not be forgiven, only deferred, customers having trouble paying utility bills in full or on time are strongly urged to make incremental payments during this time.
All customers are encouraged to use the online payment system, and online convenience fees are currently waived. The City will have payment plans available for residents that are unable to pay their bills in full over the next 60 days; details about payment plan options will be released later.
There are several ways City of Lincolnton customers can pay their utility bills:
Online Utility Bill Payments (LINK to online payment system)
Access the online payment system 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! The City of Lincolnton now accepts electronic, online payments of utility bills. To access this payment option or to view billing or usage history.
Tips for Paying Online
Please adhere to following steps in order to successfully pay your utility bill online:
- Clicking “process transaction" will send you to a confirmation screen. If you do not see this ‘confirmation screen’ within 20 seconds, please do not try your transaction again. Instead, call City of Lincolnton Utility Customer Services at 704-736-8980.
- Log on using the utility account number + billing zip code + On Line Bill Pay Pin [OLBP Pin]. Payment can be made by debit or credit card up to a limit of $ 1,000.
- Currently, the $2.75 convenience fee is waived for using this payment option. We accept Visa, MasterCard or Discover. There is no charge for viewing account billing and usage history only.
- Online payments must be received by 5 p.m. on the late fee day or the cut off day in order to avoid the late fee or the cut off fee.
Automatic Bank Drafts
To make paying your utility bill more convenient, you can sign up for the City’s Automatic Bank Drafting Program. As the name implies, once you are accepted into this program, this happens automatically with no further action on your part.
We transmit your utility balance to your banking institution and they permit it to be drafted from the bank account you have previously specified. You will never have to worry about forgetting your utility bill again.
Please print and complete the Utility Billing Automatic Draft Payment Form (PDF) and deliver it along with your voided check to our office:
- In person to City Hall, First Floor located at 114 West Sycamore Street
- By drop box located in the drive thru lane at City Hall
- By mail to:
City of Lincolnton
P.O. Drawer 617
Lincolnton, NC 28093-0617
Payment through Financial Institutions
Payments can also be made online through your bank, provided they offer this service. When using this method, please note that your banking center must physically generate a check and mail to us on your behalf. We recommend you allow 7 - 10 business days for delivery by this method.
Payments may be made at the City of Lincolnton, City Hall building located at 114 West Sycamore Street. City Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We accept cash, check or money order. Check and money orders should be made payable to City of Lincolnton. Debit and Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards are also accepted. Please feel free to use our drive thru window. We also have a drop box for after hours payments.
If you are mailing your payment, please remember to:
- Make checks or money orders payable to City of Lincolnton.
- Include your bill payment stub.
- If your payment stub is not available, please write your utility account number on the front of the check.
- Mail payment to:
City of Lincolnton
P.O. Drawer 617
Lincolnton, NC 28093-617
- Please allow 5 to 7 business days for payment delivery